Mercury turns retrograde – February 17, 2020
Yes, it’s that time of year again when communication planet, Mercury, turns retrograde and sets off in retreat for the next three weeks.
You probably know the drill by now. This is not the time to make a major decision, buy new technology or transport or make a significant investment.
The reason being that the Mercury retrograde phase often coincides with miscommunication, misunderstandings and false information. There’s a foggy, confused feel to Mercury’s retrograde motion, when not everything is as it seems. Therefore, it’s best not to believe everything you hear or read.
A good sense of humour helps
Also, it’s wise to give yourself plenty of time to deal with things and be as flexible and adaptable as you can – a good sense of humour helps immensely.
Sometimes, Mercury retrograde can seem as if you’re outside real time, when phone calls or communications take way longer than usual and there are more roadworks or roadblocks in your life.
Things can go missing or get mislaid, which is why it’s worth double-checking all correspondence, meetings or arrangements.
Mercury in Pisces
This Mercury retrograde phase could feel wierdly strange as Mercury is currently in Pisces, one of its signs of detriment. Mercury represents facts and figures, it moves swiftly when direct and Mercury appreciates attention to detail and precision.
Therefore, when Mercury’s in Pisces, all these things go out the window as Mercury wallows in the realm of dreams, imagination and emotion.
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it does give you a flavour of how Mercury works in Pisces, the sign of mutable water. Now’s the time to go with the flow and let things be rather than try and crack on or work things out.
Some of you may already have experienced weirdness, lethargy, confusion or overwhelming emotion while Mercury’s been in Pisces since February 3rd.
This is also Mercury’s ‘wibbly wobbly’ shadow phase when you’re moving towards the discombobulating Mercury retrograde phase.
Personally, my car’s been making weird noises so that’s one thing that needs sorting while Mercury’s in retreat. When Mercury retraces its steps, you may find that lost objects appear or you can sort out what’s broken.
Or perhaps, you reconnect with people from your past. The re-words are a key part of all the Mercury retrogrades, review, reflect, retreat, rework, rediscover, revisit, reconnect, etc.
This Mercury retrograde phase in Pisces is particularly wonderful to take time out, go on a magical, mystery tour, explore your creative or spiritual side, ‘be’ more than ‘do’.
Step outside of your usual routine, go somewhere different or dive deep into Pisces’ realm through poetry, music, art or wine. Read more, lose yourself in a movie, love unconditionally, be by the sea.
Be wary of addiction during this Mercury retrograde phase. Also, seduction or playing the victim. This could be a period of lies or deceit and the truth will only emerge once Mercury turns direct.
Keep a close eye on other people too and don’t over-think things. If you need to talk with someone, reach out and ask for help. Worry less, be kind more. Mercury rules communication & the mind and Pisces is the star sign of compassion.
The current Mercury retrograde pattern:
- Mercury enters Pisces – February 3, 2020
- Mercury turns retrograde [13 Pisces] – February 17, 2020 [00:37 GMT]
- Sun conjunct Mercury [6 Pisces] – February 26, 2020
- Mercury retreats back in to Aquarius – March 4, 2020
- Mercury turns direct [28 Aquarius] – March 10, 2020 [03:49 GMT]
- Mercury re-enters Pisces – March 16, 2020
- Mercury leaves its shadow phase – March 30, 2020
When the Sun is conjunct Mercury – February 26th – this is the halfway point of the retrograde phase when Mercury moves from being an evening star to a morning star. Sometimes, this can be a time when clarity strikes as the Sun illuminates Mercury’s retreat motion.
Notice that Mercury re-enters Aquarius while it’s retrograde, a sign in which it’s more comfortable. Aquarius is an air sign ruling thought, ideas, communication & networking. Therefore, things in your life may start to be resolved or make more sense once Mercury is back in Aquarius – March 4th.
Where Mercury Turns Retrograde In Your Horoscope
- Pisces – personal goals/aims, physical body, image & self-perception
- Aries – sacrifice, inner work, a spiritual retreat, caring for self & others
- Taurus – friends, groups, politics, social causes, hopes & wishes
- Gemini – career & vocation, status & reputation, authority, future goals
- Cancer – travel, study, the bigger picture, life’s meaning & purpose
- Leo – joint finances & shared resources, taboos, all things hidden & mysterious
- Virgo – relationships, both personal & professional, contracts, enemies
- Libra – work & routine, lifestyle & health, service to others
- Scorpio – children & creativity, love affairs & luck, fun & entertainment
- Sagittarius – home & family, the past, your legacy, where you come from
- Capricorn – communication, siblings, neighbours, community, your voice
- Aquarius – money & possessions, values & self-worth
I will leave you with a quote from the inspirationally wonderful writer, Anne Lamott – Sun Aries, Mercury Pisces. It really is the best advice for this Mercury retrograde phase: